Friday, February 25, 2011

Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley from the New Yorker

I made this for the annual "Your Eustace" design contest for the New Yorker. I've been wanting to try working sculpture into an illustrative style for a while and considered this a great way to exercise the opportunity. I did in in the last hours before the contest ended so was not at all surprised it didn't make the cut but genuinely had fun making it.
I really do miss having deadlines, there is nothing like the pressure and productivity of those last few hours to get things to take shape in a definitive way.

good link: The Life Of Edward Gorey, Told By An Old Friend.

7 comments:

Naomi Shiek said...

Great submission!
I personally can't get anything done unless there's a deadline. And even then only when I have too little time left:)

Esti said...

sorry to hear that it didn't make the cut. It's great!!

www.finelittleday.com said...

Looks awesome! Would be fun to see an animation with your creations one day Kimberly. Or at least an installation by you in real life some day.

karla said...

Kim, this is really, really cool.

Veja cecilia said...

wow, fantastic submission! love how you combine sculpture and illustration. I like illustration most when its 3d, so inspiring!

fliss said...

WOW!! that's fantastic... i love the details :)

Leen said...

This is really nice! Same here for the deadlines. I'm so extremely lazy without them...I believe you create the best things under pressure...I love it!!